During the first service one hundred members joined the church. The church continued to grow rapidly requiring a larger facility. Property was secured at 4443 St. Ferdinand which was formerly
On the fourth Sunday in November, 1945, the church moved to our current location at
Rev. P. W. Jones was elected to become the Pastor of the
Pastor Jones brought a progressive program to the church. The membership grew, new furniture was purchased, and the church bulletin was introduced to keep the membership informed of weekly activities and financial reports. State of the art office equipment was purchased including a typewriter and a mimeograph machine. Mrs. Elnora Mosby was hired to be the secretary. The church purchased its first organ. And, a Trustee Board, separate from the Deacon Board, was elected and bonded.
The cornerstone of the church was laid on April 12, 1959. E.R Bryson, Most Worshipful Master of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Missouri, presided over the placement of the stone. Rev. G.H. Pruitt, Pastor of the
The church was remodeled in 1962, including the building of classrooms, relocation of the women’s and men’s lounges, redesign of the altar and complete repair of the church interior and exterior. In this same year, Pastor Jones suggested that the church should work toward remodeling the sanctuary adding an annex to the building. This construction was begun in June, 1963. The church also began broadcasting our church service in 1960. The church grew in many ways under his leadership. Pastor P.W. Jones transitioned on July 18, 1975.
After prayerful meditation, Minister Hosea’ E. Gales was selected by a unanimous standing vote on October 3, 1975, to become the Pastor of this church. Minister Gales was not only ordained to preach the Gospel, he was our Minister of Music, an outstanding singer throughout the city, a renowned radio host, and a member of this church since his youth. Under his leadership, we have continued to do great things. Pastor Gales encourages and supports a full complement of educational and service ministries to do God’s work. The radio broadcast of our service has continued nearly fifty years. The annex has been expanded and remodeled and parking facilities have been added for the members and officers. An addition has been built on the east side of the complex which will become a Conference and
The church building was destroyed by fire on Friday, December 25, 2009. The original building was completely burned. The newer additions, sanctuary extension and the annex received less damage. Services were held at the Kennerly Temple Church of God in Christ Annex until we were able to rebuild.
The God Family of this church has grown in tremendous ways under the divine leadership of Minister Hosea’ E. Gales, and we will continue to grow in grace and do greater works for the building of God’s Kingdom as we follow him as he follows Christ.